Dental Exams & Cleanings
Dental Exam by Dentist and Hygienists
At your first dental visit a complete dental exam will be done by your dentist. At that time and at following regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include:
- Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): to find possible tooth decay, tumours, cysts, bone loss and tooth positions.
- Oral cancer screening: to check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: to check your gums and bone around your teeth for any signs of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth surfaces: to check for tooth decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: to check the integrity of fillings, crowns, bridges, veneers etc.
Professional Dental Cleanings
Professional dental cleanings (scaling, root planing and polishing) are done by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam by the dentist and:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has formed on the tooth and will be firmly attached. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and can be removed with appropriate dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease and can effect your general health!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.